Forwarding an email received by arch@freebsd.org...

Oliver Fromme olli at secnetix.de
Sun Apr 27 11:16:45 PDT 2003

Andrew Lankford <arlankfo at 141.com> wrote:
 > http://www.clabsms.de/FreeBSD/patch.sys.i386.i386.identcpu.c
 > http://www.clabsms.de/FreeBSD/patch.sys.i386.i386.vm_machdep.c
 > These patches are to support the NSC Geode processor.

What do you mean -- "support"?  I'm just curious ...

I've been using NS Geode processors (233 and 300 MHz) for
quite some time without any problems, and without requiring
patches.  They're recognized during booting like this:

CPU: Cyrix GXm (232.74-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "CyrixInstead"  Id = 0x540  DIR=0x8246  Stepping=8  Revision=2

(Yes, the Geode _is_ a Cyrix processor.)

I've put a complete dmesg output here:
http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/cantaro/dmesg.boot.txt

Regards
   Oliver

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law, from Profiles of the Future