blackmail attempt? Stable mailing list block?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Apr 27 05:26:28 PDT 2003

Mike Harding <mvh at ix.netcom.com> writes:

> I got some weird mail back, claiming that my e-mail was blocked, w/o
> indicating what server was blocked, after the mail appeared in the
> mailing list.  Is this some BS shakedown?  I use postfix on a DSL line
> forwarding to earthlink, this is hardly something that should be rare
> in the BSD world... the mail appeared to come from a web mail server
> and the first link has the following lovely text:

[strange offer snipped]

I have seen idiots apply "dialup user black lists" (aggressively
promoted by MAPS LLC and Osirusoft and others) to Received: headers --
and consistently seen bounces hit the reverse path of my mailing list
mail from such accounts, because the last Received: header in my mail
will of course bear the IP of my private Postfix that's sitting on a DSL
line in Germany, no matter if I use my ISP's relay server or not (I
won't hack up my systems to accomodate the effects of other people's
brain amputation).

There are just some people that turn blind in their rage against
spam. They'd better get working content based filtering <shameless
plug>such as bogofilter</shameless plug> and use that instead of
senseless blacklists.

SCNR.

--
Matthias Andree