blackmail attempt? Stable mailing list block?

Mike Harding mvh at ix.netcom.com
Sat Apr 26 07:27:46 PDT 2003

I got some weird mail back, claiming that my e-mail was blocked, w/o
indicating what server was blocked, after the mail appeared in the
mailing list.  Is this some BS shakedown?  I use postfix on a DSL line
forwarding to earthlink, this is hardly something that should be rare
in the BSD world... the mail appeared to come from a web mail server
and the first link has the following lovely text:

"If you would like a site be added or removed from BlarsBL, you may hire
Blars at his normal consulting rates (currently $250/hour, 2 hour
minimum, $1000 deposit due in advance for non-established customers)
to investigate your evidence about the site. If it is found that the
entry was a mistake, no charge will be made and the entire deposit
will be refunded. Send Blars email from a non-listed account to verify
current rates and arrange payment."

(Further research indicates that blars may be legit, but this is kind
of sleazy)

The IP of the "rejected" smtp server was not included.

The 'rejection' text appears as follows:

Your message with the subject &
"'last' working OK for everybody on 4-STABLE?" addressed to
"stable at freebsd.org" <stable at freebsd.org> was rejected by a open relay
due to smtp server is listed at block.blars.org smtp server is listed
at blackholes.five-ten-sg.com smtp server is listed at xbl.selwerd.cx