Deadlock with ATA disk on FreeBSD 4.8 Stable

Martin Blapp mb at imp.ch
Tue Apr 22 11:11:08 PDT 2003

Hi Soeren,

We encounter here a deadlock with a quite new ATA 120GB disk.
The disk worked good for about 3 weeks, but now we have a strange
problem.

There seems to be one defective file on the disk. fsck doesn't find
it, and if I do a

cat file > /dev/null

The machine locks completly. Serial console is dead, no remote DDB
via ALTBREAK possible anymore, no panic message, just freezed.

The evil began after we installed this ATA disk. It only happens for
one file on this disk, the other 10000 files are fine.

Do you have a idea why break into the debugger doesn't work anymore ?
Even if we have a hard-error on the disk, this should still work,
shouln't it ?

Martin

Martin Blapp, <mb at imp.ch> <mbr at FreeBSD.org>