Old machine -

W. Sierke ws at senet.com.au
Fri Apr 18 10:28:02 PDT 2003

"Ryan Merrick" <sandshrimp at attbi.com> wrote:

> Is your CD-rom a slave without a master ?

Mine was, but I've now set it to master and the problem remains. Still on
the secondary channel; when I get the chance I'll try it out on the primary.

"Gerd Knops" <gerti at bitart.com> wrote:

> I vaguely remember encountering this a long time ago, and the trick was
> to turn of the BIOS Virus check.

The BIOS Virus check is not enabled on my system.

My CDROM drive has a jumper setting for UDMA/33 mode which was enabled, but
is not supported by my system, so I've adjusted the jumper to disable the
UDMA mode on the drive. I've also dropped all the BIOS configuration
settings for the drive to as basic as possible: 32-bit mode OFF, Block mode
OFF, LBA mode OFF, Transfer mode PIO 0. I even disabled the HDD in the BIOS.
None of this has resolved the problem.

Wayne