post last sendmail upgrade

Gregory Neil Shapiro gshapiro at freebsd.org
Wed Apr 16 22:36:47 PDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 01:12:07PM +1000, Mark.Andrews at isc.org wrote:

> 	I've noticed email corruption post the last upgrade to sendmail
> 	committed to stable.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

I just read through the diff between 8.12.6 (4.7-RELEASE) and 8.12.9 and
didn't see anything in sendmail itself that would cause message corruption.
I did however spot one oddity in mail.local but older versions would have
suffered from the same race condition.  Basically, if the close() on
the mailbox fails (due to disk full, user over quota, or a write error
only caught after the fsync() (which shouldn't happen)), the mailbox
is truncated back to the pre-message size without re-locking the mailbox.
It's doubtful this is happening to you since the chances of close() failing
and the previous fsync() not are pretty low.  You would also see temporary
delivery failures of the form "450 4.2.0 <strerrror(errno) output>" in
syslog.

Are you using mail.local or some other local delivery agent?  How
are you reading your mail from your mailbox; could that pop/imap/MUA
be responsible?