Problem logging in after upgrade to 4.8-Stable

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Tue Apr 15 17:45:06 PDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Doug Silver wrote:

> Here's some more information that I realize is probably relevant.  I've
> attempted to strip out the openssl/openssh out of the base system, including
> libcrypto and libssl so I can track it through the ports area.

That would be the problem.  You probably lack the crypto libs needed to
check the "old" users.  The new users are probably using a different
encryption method in the password file.  Look at /etc/master.passwd and
you should see a difference in the crypted password.

As far as I know, you *can't* pull libcrypto out and replace it from ports
as there is no such port...  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong
about that, but even if I am, it still sounds like a bad idea.

Charles