Ipf headers not installed per default ?

Crist J. Clark crist.clark at attbi.com
Mon Apr 14 12:02:14 PDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 03:40:22PM -0400, Robin P. Blanchard wrote:
> Just rebuilt and installed/world kernel: FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Fri Apr 11
> 14:34:37 EDT 2003
>
> Using the latest Makefile for squid25:
> # fgrep \$FreeBSD /usr/ports/www/squid/Makefile
> # $FreeBSD: ports/www/squid/Makefile,v 1.100 2003/04/09 08:31:30 adrian Exp $

> Modified with:
> # fgrep CONFIGURE_ARGS Makefile |fgrep -v \#
[snip]
> CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --enable-ipf-transparent

This is the one that needs IPFilter headers.

> The configure script does not locate IPF's header files. I had to manually
> copy them over:
> # cp -p /usr/src/sys/contrib/ipfilter/netinet/*.h /usr/include/netinet/
>
> Squid then built fine. Should these header files be installed with the world?
> Or should squid's port be modified to include /usr/src/sys/include/ipfilter ?

It shouldn't look in /usr/src. Ports should (a) not expect the user to
have a FreeBSD source tree or (b) demand that it be in /usr/src
(although you could add a make variable that is the base of the source
tree that defaults to /usr/src, if there isn't one already).

The IPFilter .h-files should be installed with world. Whether they
belong in /usr/include/netinet or somewhere else is a different
matter. Without digging into the CVS repo, I'd venture to guess that
this happened when IPFitler files got separated out of the src/sys
tree into src/sys/contrib/ipfilter.

Why don't you send in a PR on this?
Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclark at alum.mit.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~cjc/    |     cjc at freebsd.org