PATCH: Forcible delaying of UFS (soft)updates

Oliver Fromme olli at secnetix.de
Sat Apr 12 07:39:01 PDT 2003

Marko Zec <zec at tel.fer.hr> wrote:
 > Here's a patch against 4.8-RELEASE kernel that allows disk writes on
 > softupdates-enabled filesystems to be delayed for (theoretically)
 > arbitrarily long periods of time. The motivation for such updating
 > policy is surprisingly not purely suicidal - it can allow disks on
 > laptops to spin down immediately after I/O operations and stay idle for
 > longer periods of time, thus saving considerable amount of battery
 > power.

It would be very cool if you could have different delay
settings per filesystem.  That would enable you to have
a large delay on /tmp, a medium delay on /var, and the
standard delay (i.e. more safety) on everything else.

 > - fsync() no longer flushes the buffers to disk, but returns immediately
 > instead;

I see some issues with that.  Better make that tunable
separately (and probably default to off).

 > - invoking sync() causes flushing of softupdates buffers to follow
 > immediately, which was not the case before;

That's cool.  I always disliked the fact I had to type
sync several times and still couldn't be sure that
everything was really synced.  (Yeah, I know, it's the
way it works, it always worked like that, and it's
documented to work like that ...  but I still dislike
it.)

 > - if one of the mounted filesystems becomes low on free space, which can
 > happen if lot of data is written to the FS but FS metadata buffers are
 > not updated to disk, flushing of all softupdates buffers is scheduled
 > automatically;

That's cool, too.  I've been bitten several times by the
bogus "no space left on device", due to soft-updates
delaying the freeing of file data.

I assume that buffered data is also flushed to disk when
the system runs low on RAM, right?  (I'm not a VFS/VM
expert, so that might be a stupid question.)

 > Nevertheless, my laptop runs without glitches for the last two weeks
 > with the extra delaying enabled, while happily achieving 5-10% longer
 > battery operated periods, depending on disk utilization patterns.

Awesome.  That would mean about 45 minutes more mobility
with my laptop.  :)

Regards
   Oliver

"Clear perl code is better than unclear awk code; but NOTHING
comes close to unclear perl code"  (taken from comp.lang.awk FAQ)