4.8-Release disk3 and disk4

ian j hart ianjhart at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 11 12:03:24 PDT 2003

On Friday 11 April 2003 9:45 am, Wes Peters wrote:
> On Monday 07 April 2003 14:17, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> > FreeBSD is no longer
> > closely linked to any CD vendor and the Project has decided that the
> > effort involved in integrating the ports collection into the -RELEASE
> > CDs can be better utilised elsewhere.
>
> The funny part is, I never saw any discussion of this topic anywhere, and
> I would assume if such a discussion happened I probably would've been a
> part of it.  Can you point me to where "the Project" made this decision?

This didn't make it to the handbook either.

<quote>
2.13.1 Creating an installation CDROM

As part of each release, the FreeBSD project makes available five CDROM images
(``ISO images''). These images can be written (``burned'') to CDs if you have
a CD writer, and then used to install FreeBSD. If you have a CD writer, and
bandwidth is cheap, then this is the easiest way to install FreeBSD.
</quote>

What exactly is "the effort involved". The packages are already built, right?

--
ian j hart

Quoth the raven, bite me!
	Salem Saberhagen (Episode LXXXI: The Phantom Menace)