4.8-STABLE Kernel Panic with dummynet options.

Sergey A. Osokin osa at freebsd.org.ru
Wed Apr 9 04:13:57 PDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 10:41:48AM -0700, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> Johan Christiansen wrote:
> >I first met this problem when our (60 students) internetgateway refused to
> >boot its new kernel, it was a 4.7-RELEASE. Then i loaded the old kernel and
> >went home to check if my 4.8-STABLE does likewise. And the answer was yes!
> >Both kernels were GENERIC + these options taken from the dummynet man
> >pages:
> >
> >options         DUMMYNET
> >options         NMBCLUSTERS
> >options         HZ
>
> Not quite...  some of these take numeric arguments
>

> options     IPFIREWALL
> options     DUMMYNET
> options     HZ=2000          # choose and appropriate value
> options     DEVICE_POLLING   # in 4.8+ this may help net perf
>
> # if you need to mess with these, read the kernel LINT file!
>
> options    NMBCLUSTERS=1024
> options    NMBUFS=4096

What is the NMBUFS? You talk about NSFBUFS?
Anyway, NMBCLUSTERS and NSFBUFS maybe set at boot-time.
Remove them from kernel config file and just add two following lines
into your /boot/loader.conf.local:
kern.ipc.nmbclusters="32768"
kern.ipc.nsfbufs="32768"

AFAIK 1024 is very-very small value for NMBCLUSTERS.
--

Rgdz,                        /"\  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
Sergey Osokin aka oZZ,       \ /    AGAINST HTML MAIL