4.8R and $FreeBSD$ version tag expansion

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Sun Apr 6 18:21:11 PDT 2003

If memory serves me right, Derrick Norris wrote:

> I noticed when I built release 4.8 from source (using the RELENG_4_8
> tag) that I had many files in src/etc (and many other parts of src)
> with $FreeBSD$ ids.  After reading this thread, I thought maybe there
> was bad timing with my cvsup, so I cvsupped again and checked just
> before sending this message.  On my system, in both the RELENG_4_8
> and RELENG_4_8_0_RELEASE tags, many of the files have the bad ids.
>
> Do I need to blow away my cvsupped src tree and bring it down again
> from scratch?

Hi Derrick--

You're using cvsup to maintain a local repository, right?  If so, you
need to add cvsroot-all to the set of collections you're pulling
down.  After that, checkouts from your local repository should have
their $FreeBSD$ ids expanded correctly.

It sounds like somebody needs to write up a FAQ on this...I'll put it
on my list of things to do but if someone else does it first, they'll
get no complaints from me.

Bruce.