4.8R and $FreeBSD$ version tag expansion

David A. Gobeille dgobeille at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 4 16:17:48 PST 2003

I noticed that there were quite a few files with version ids of
'$FreeBSD$' when I ran mergemaster after an install of 4.8R.  This isn't
right is it?  What are the consequences of installing over your files
with unexpanded version ids?  I would like to build a release(make
release) and want to know if I can continue or if this is going to be a
problem for future upgrades/mergemaster runs.

I compiled and installed from source that was supped around 9:30am this
morning.  I keep a local repository and checkout the source from there.

Here are the steps I used for the upgrade from 4.7 STABLE Nov 12, 2002:
I updated the repository like so...
cd /home/ncvs
cvsup -L2 -g supfile

supfile:
# Defaults that apply to all the collections
*default host=cvsup10.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/home/ncvs
*default prefix=/home/ncvs
*default release=cvs