4.8-RELEASE

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Wed Apr 2 11:17:09 PST 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 09:08:51AM -0500, Ken Mays wrote:
> So the question of the day could be: Is the ISO images of 4.8 the
> 'released-to-manufacturing (vendors/retailers)' or 'official release'
> versions and not pre-RTM (beta) code?!?

Given our naming scheme this question is moot. We put the release
label down with the intention to have the sources constitute the
official release and with the (inside) knowledge that we can still
relabel. Therefore the label doesn't mean anything. It's the
announcement that marks the release and it's the announcement that
gives meaning to the label (ie the sources identified by the
release label at the time of the announcement).

Come to think of it, it does suck :-)

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net