4.8-S crashes during boot in USB code

Scott Johnson scottj at betteremail.com
Wed Apr 2 08:04:18 PST 2003

> Hi List,
>
> my FreeBSD-4.8-Stable custom kernel crashes in USB code during boot. It
> does not matter if any USB device is connected.  I checked all
> combinations of no, one, or two devices connected out of my collection
> (USB memory stick, Sony clie handheld). The crash is reproducible at the
>  same location in the USB driver.

You'll probably find that when you take out the crypto and FAST_IPSEC
options from your kernel config, it will boot perfectly.  There's a bug
that causes a panic in uhci.c when crypto is enabled.  A patch is already
in CVS in the MAIN branch.  See this link:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/usb/uhci.c?rev=1.133&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

> A generic kernel does not crash, but does not detect the Clie.

Yes, generic should boot just fine, as long as crypto isn't enabled.

-Scott