4.8-RELEASE

Ken Mays kmays2000 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 2 06:08:53 PST 2003

You can download the 'release' ISO at your own risk. Meaning, without
official acknowledgement that you are getting the 'true' official release
then you can't hold them liable if you put this on your production machines
and something goes terribly wrong (i.e. loss of data).

Sometimes, people can put a release snapshot or official release on the FTP
site to test builds or mirroring or for the QA/testers to use as a
'pre-RTM'.

But, people have a good point. You shouldn't label something as release
since you KNOW it will confuse anyone visiting the FTP servers. We normally
would think that the web pages were not updated (this happens on the
slackware site as well as others) and try to download the ISO before the
offical announcement. Human nature.

So the question of the day could be: Is the ISO images of 4.8 the
'released-to-manufacturing (vendors/retailers)' or 'official release'
versions and not pre-RTM (beta) code?!?