4.8-RELEASE vs SA-03:07

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Tue Apr 1 18:32:51 PST 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 06:21:10PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 06:12:44PM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > I think this does not automaticly follow. If you use the -RC label for
> > identifying the release when it's in a state of final QA and not to
> > identify the release when it's in -ALPHA or -BETA state, then you avoid
> > using the -RELEASE label when it's still possible that tags slide.
>
> And what about the last-minute (but easily fixed) bug that is
> discovered after the -RELEASE tag goes down, whenever that happens in
> the process?  Either you slide the tag to fix the bug or you don't.
> That's what the original poster was talking about.

If you use the -RELEASE label as a formal label while using the -RC
label during final QA, you don't fix bugs once you put down the
-RELEASE label, because you don't slide it.

An equivalent situation is when you find a bug when mirrors are
being populated. Do you stop that to rebuild the release with a
fix? [rethorical question]

There's always an ultimate moment before which you can correct
and adjust and after which you're f*cked. We don't have this
moment defined by a tag, but it's not uncommon to have the -RELEASE
tag define that moment. I think this is what Jarkko expected (ie
having the -RELEASE tag define the release, no matter if it's DOA).

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net