4.8-RELEASE vs SA-03:07

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Tue Apr 1 12:33:06 PST 2003

At 2003-04-01T19:54:44Z, Jarkko Santala <jake at iki.fi> writes:

> IMHO _nothing_ should be called X.Y-RELEASE unless it is truly
> X.Y-RELEASE. This goes for any files on ftp and any cvs repositories. Once
> you tag something as X.Y-RELEASE or once you make any files public with
> that name on it, it becomes that release.

I understand the point you want to make, but there are some subtle issues.
Foremost is that there are many mirrors of the main FTP server.  The release
team will upload the final product and let the mirrors fetch a copy before
announcing it officially so that it's available on all of the mirrors the
moment the message is sent.  There's no great way around that unless you can
convince all of your mirrors to download `giant-unnamed-tarball.tar.gz' and
then simultaneously rename it to `freebsd-4.8-release.tar.gz' when the
release team hits the "Send" button.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.