sun fure v490

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Thu May 23 18:25:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 04:15:02PM +0200, fddi wrote:
> Hello I ask if the sun fire v490 is supported.
> I am goign to buy one with 4 ultrsparc IV+ cpu 1.35GHz
>
> so I ask if it runs welll wirth FreeBSD 9.1
>
> on hte FreeBS site there is written:
>
> The following Sun UltraSPARC systems are not tested but believed to be
> also supported by FreeBSD:
>
>   * Sun Fire V490 (support first appeared in 7.4-RELEASE and
>     8.1-RELEASE, non-mixed Ultrasparc IV/IV+ CPU-configurations only)
>
> does it mean noeone ever tried to boot FreeBSD on it ?

Not that I'm aware of. FreeBSD is known to run on V480 - which
essentially should be the same as V490 just with US-III CPUs -
and FreeBSD is known to work with US-IV+ CPUs. So it's very
likely that FreeBSD 9.1 will run on a V490 with US-IV+ CPUs
out of the box, i. e. the possibilities are good, but there are
no guarantees.