"panic: cpu_initclocks: could not determine STICK frequency" booting V890

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Tue May 17 03:09:08 UTC 2011

I've found an unused V890 (64GB RAM, 8 dual-core 1.35GHz US-IV CPUs,
12 146GB FC disks) and thought I'd try FreeBSD on it (especially since
I had a copy of FreeBSD-8.2-RC2 lying around on CD).  My initial try
failed with "panic: kmem_suballoc: bad status return of 3" but
limiting the RAM to 4GB with hw.physmem worked around that.
Unfortunately, it then panic's as above.

Looking at the sources, the only recent change in that area of
sparc64/sparc64/tick.c is related to Serengeti-class machines (which
the V890 isn't).

Does anyone have any suggestions?  A verbose boot is available at
http://pastie.org/1913906

--
Peter Jeremy