BSDInstall on sparc64

Howard Eisenberger howarde at gmx.net
Thu Mar 3 18:12:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 10:39:23PM -0600, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:

> >>Works on my Ultra 60, however fails on Ultra AXe. After guided
> >>partitioning and initializing, "checking distribution archives.."
> >>flashes by (I assume the error is here) and I get "Extract error
> >>Error while extracting kernel.tgz Unrecognized archive format"
> >>
> >>I'm new to FreeBSD, but successfully installed 8.2 on the AXe a
> >
> >Just tried again on 777s using new cdr media.  I am seeing the same
> >issue as Howard now.
> >
> >Extract error
> >Error while extracting kernel.tgz
> >Unrecognized archive format
>
> Odd. Could you take a look at the kernel.tgz file? It's in either
> /usr/freebsd-dist or /usr/bsdinstall-dist. I'd be interested to know
> what file(1) says about it on a working and on a non-working
> machine, as well as the output of gzip -t and tar tvf (you can use
> the single-user shell on the install CD to test this).

With same CD on both working and non-working machines, from <Shell>
I get the same thing with those commands on /usr/bsdinstall-disk/
kernel.tgz. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong at that point.

During install on my working Ultra 60 "checking distribution archives.
Please wait." does wait for a time before "extracting distribution
files". On my non-working Ultra AXe, the first message just flashes
by without a wait and jumps immediately to "Extract error..."

Thanks and Regars,

Howard E.