sparc64/144900: [patch] SPARC64 Floating point fixes

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Sat Mar 20 20:50:06 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/144900; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marius Strobl <marius at alchemy.franken.de>
To: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at acm.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: sparc64/144900: [patch] SPARC64 Floating point fixes
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:49:41 +0100

 On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 08:11:20PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
 > - Parts of the emulator code must be compiled with no-strict-aliasing
 >   specified to function correctly.  CFLAGS is updated to include the
 >   relevant gcc option.  (This will add -fno-strict-aliasing to all of
 >   libc - which is excessive but I don't believe it's possible to compile
 >   only part of libc that way).

 Could you please elaborate on what exactly breaks when compiling
 with strict aliasing rules? I think there actually is a way to
 limit -no-strict-aliasing to the emulator part but I'd like to
 understand what's going on and make sure there's no way it can
 be solved by the code affected before turning it on.