Java on FreeBSD/sparc64

Craig Butler craig001 at lerwick.hopto.org
Tue Jan 12 00:18:47 UTC 2010

On 15/12/2009 07:33, Greg Lewis wrote:
> It's slow and I'm not particularly confident of how well it works on SMP.
> But if you're feeling adventurous and have FreeBSD/sparc64 8.0 and a yen
> to use Java then you might be interested in trying it out.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~glewis/openjdk7-freebsd-8.0-sparc64.tar.gz
>
> Note that this isn't a package, its just a tarball based on the BSD port
> of OpenJDK 7.
>
> If you were particuarly keen you could install Mercurial with the forest
> extension, hg fclone http://hg.openjdk.java.net/bsd-port/bsd-port/ and
> see if you could use it as a bootstrap to port HotSpot so it was faster.
>
> Sorry, I don't think I have the bandwidth to get this going on 7.x right
> now.  If you'd like to I can outline roughly what I did.
>
> There will eventually be an openjdk7 port that will make this easier.

Greg

Thank you very much, I can confirm this is working with the latest 8
stable as compiled earlier today.
I had to install devel/libffi to satisfy a dependency for java executable.
I unpacked the openjdk tarball into /usr/local and included the bin path
into my PATH environmental variable.

Simple hello world program compiles and runs... brilliant :*) java on
sparc64 under freebsd, perfect

Cheers

Craig B