Newbie to FreeBSD on SPARC - questions about Sun hardware

Royce Williams royce.williams at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 19:18:45 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Kaya Saman <SamanKaya at netscape.net> wrote:

> is this list online or dead?
>
> Sorry am just not used to a mailing list being this quiet! Usually within a
> few minutes or hours of signing up someone has posted something to the list
> (not meaning response to what I ask but just in a generic sense).

I'm mostly a lurker on this list, but I'd say that the silence was
because your message had multiple sections, and some of the questions
were non-trivial to answer. :-)

Your summary was helpful:

> [...] how does the performance of FreeBSD on SPARC compare
> with running Solaris on the same platform/architecture??

.. but you also said that you were interested in the difference
between SPARC and x86. There are many, many variables underneath the
answer to these questions.  Also, "performance" means different things
to different people.  I don't know of any broad, publiished benchmarks
comparing freebsd/sparc64 and freebsd/i386 performance, but they would
be interesting to see.

Maybe someone else on the list is in a similar boat, and will chime in
here. :-)  In my experience, unless you can find others who are
already working under similar requirements, the clueful advice I've
seen people give is that doing your own testing is the best way to get
results that are meaningful to your situation.

Royce