sparc64/142102: FreeBSD 8.0 kernel panics on sparc64 when accessing NFS

Manuel Tobias Schiller mala at hinterbergen.de
Wed Dec 30 19:40:04 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/142102; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Manuel Tobias Schiller <mala at hinterbergen.de>
To: Marius Strobl <marius at alchemy.franken.de>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: sparc64/142102: FreeBSD 8.0 kernel panics on sparc64 when
 accessing NFS
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:36:31 +0100

 On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 02:08:01 +0100
 Marius Strobl <marius at alchemy.franken.de> wrote:

 > On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 01:25:55AM +0100, Manuel Tobias Schiller wrote:
 >
 > > I managed to compile and test a kernel with your updated patch, and
 > > things seem to work. I'll try to stress-test it over the night by
 > > copying a few tens of gigabytes over and report back with the
 > > results. Also, if I'm reading your patch correctly, we should be able
 > > to do without the bcopy hack from PR 140797, so I'll recompile a
 > > kernel without it and try if that works as well.
 >
 > I don't think so; nfs_realign() only guarantees 4-byte alignment
 > as required by XDR and assumed by nfsm_srvmtofh_xx() further down
 > the road but nfsfh_t needs 8-byte alignment.

 Of course, you are right. When I tried it, I got my well deserved panic
 again. I should have looked at the code of nfs_realign much more
 carefully...

 Anyway, thanks again!

 Manuel

 --