sparc64/142102: FreeBSD 8.0 kernel panics on sparc64 when accessing NFS

Manuel Tobias Schiller mala at hinterbergen.de
Tue Dec 29 10:20:04 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/142102; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Manuel Tobias Schiller <mala at hinterbergen.de>
To: Marius Strobl <marius at alchemy.franken.de>
Cc: Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com>, FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org,
 Manuel Tobias Schiller <mala at hinterbergen.de>
Subject: Re: sparc64/142102: FreeBSD 8.0 kernel panics on sparc64 when
 accessing NFS
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:15:16 +0100

 On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:58:29 +0100
 Marius Strobl <marius at alchemy.franken.de> wrote:

 > I think you guys are talking about different things; AFAIK the
 > package build cluster nodes only act as NFS clients but this
 > problem is about when using machines with strict alignment
 > requirements as an NFS server.

 That might explain why Mark does not see panics (assuming the NFS
 client code has had more testing on sparc64 or similar architectures
 which does not seem unlikely (e.g. in the build cluster))...

 > I'm using a more or less current HEAD but the NFS code hasn't
 > changed that much since 8.0, at least it doesn't contain any
 > other alignment fixes I'm aware of.
 > I think I got what the problem is but I still haven't managed
 > to reproduce it so far. Could you please test whether the
 > following patch makes a difference?
 > http://people.freebsd.org/~marius/fha_extract_info_realign.diff
 >
 > Marius

 Your patch applies more or less cleanly (a line or two offset here and
 there, but nothing to worry about AFAICT), and make buildkernel is having
 a go at the sources. I'll let you know what comes out.

 Thanks,

 Manuel

 --
 Homepage: http://www.hinterbergen.de/mala