sparc64/142102: FreeBSD 8.0 kernel panics on sparc64 when accessing NFS

Manuel Tobias Schiller mala at hinterbergen.de
Mon Dec 28 21:10:06 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/142102; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Manuel Tobias Schiller <mala at hinterbergen.de>
To: Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org, Marius Strobl
 <marius at alchemy.franken.de>, Manuel Tobias Schiller <mala at hinterbergen.de>
Subject: Re: sparc64/142102: FreeBSD 8.0 kernel panics on sparc64 when
 accessing NFS
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 22:06:02 +0100

 On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 14:26:50 -0600
 Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:

 > Just to add a data point, the Netra T1s in the package build cluster do
 > not show this problem, so I'm guessing that you are hitting an edge
 > on large file transfers.  We run them pretty hard.
 >
 > mcl

 Hi Mark, Marius,

 thanks for the data point. In the meantime, I managed to test a kernel
 with the "official" fix from PR 140797, and I still get the crash when
 trying to write a moderately sized file (20 Megabytes) to NFS. According
 to the backtrace below, it crashes in line 1355 of
 /usr/src/sys/nfsserver/nfs_srvsubs.c.

 Since I'm using the fix from the original problem report and RELENG_8_0
 sources cvsupped on December 20, I guess that means we are either using
 different source trees (i.e. there is something in the sources for the
 kernels used on your machines that helps), or there is some other
 difference which I have not been able to pinpoint yet. Maybe you could
 clarify before I try hacking away or finding other differences...

 Thanks,

 Manuel