V480R: panic: schizo_attach: could not register interrupt controller for CDMA (17)

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Sun Dec 27 17:40:56 UTC 2009

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009, Marius Strobl wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 09:48:45PM +0000, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
>> I'm seeing this panic on a V480r I'm netbooting:
>>
>> panic: schizo_attach: could not register interrupt controller for CDMA (17)
>>
>> I've stuck the full verbose dmesg of the panic with SCHIZO_DEBUG set at
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~gavin/v480r/boot-panic
>
> the problem is that unlike all firmware versions I've seen so far
> this one actually includes the CDMA interrupt at RID 4 for all four
> host-PCI bridges. The workaround is applicable to all four Schizos
> and you most likely did not seen further problems with your hack
> due to your machine not having any PCI-PCI bridges. Could you
> please give the following patch a try instead?
> http://people.freebsd.org/~marius/schizo_cdma2.diff

This patch works for me.  Thanks!  I've put the new verbose dmesg with
your patch (still with SCHIZO_DEBUG set) at
http://people.freebsd.org/~gavin/v480r/boot-mariuspatch if it's useful.

This machine is running OpenBoot 4.22.34, 2007/07/23 13:01.

> Have you used the Cassini interfaces in this machine so far? On
> the few E480R FreeBSD has been given a try so far (but which
> obviously are at least equipped with different firmware version
> if not even being another hardware revision) using the on-board
> NICs triggers a seemingly unrelated FATAL RESET in tl0_dmmu_miss
> which if the dump generated by the firmware can be trusted
> apparently is due to the fact that the CPUs erroneously report
> a TSB base of zero.

I'm running with an NFS root over cas0.  Although I'm not pushing it
heavily, I've been using it for a day now and haven't experienced what you
describe.  I've just ran "tar -cf - / > /dev/null" a few times and it's
not crashed.

I'm happy to get any extra info from this machine if it would be useful
for you to figure out the issues on the other 480R you are seeing.  I can
boot it into Solaris if output from any of Sun's tools would be useful.
Note that this machine describes itself as a V480R not an E480R, I don't
know if these are the same machine or not.

Thanks!

Gavin