Solved: Re: trouble installing to sun blade 1500

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Mon Dec 7 16:49:48 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 04:12:26PM +0000, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 04:57:13PM +0100, Marius Strobl wrote:
> > >
> > > Now my problem is graphics, or at least a text console.
> > > It looks like I've this graphics card (Sun data calles
> > > is graphics accelerator, but this the only graphics
> > > device in my 1500 blades, there is no other):
> > >
> > > 	Option	Part		description:
> > > 	X3780A 	375-3153 	XVR-600 Graphics Accelerator
> > >
> > > 3D LABS 54-001047-001 XVR-600 64MB PCI GRAPHICS CARD
> > >
> > > Anybody used this card with Sun?
> > > Is this card really not supported at all, even for
> > > text console?
> >
> > What you can do with 7.2 (with 8.0 an later this currently
> > requires the attached patch) in order to get a more or
> > rather less working text console with any hardware is to
> > build a kernel with ofw_console(4), but this requires all
> > other console and related drivers to be removed, i.e.
> > ddb(4), atkbdc(4) and its child drivers, kbdmux(4), sc(4),
> > creator(4), machfb(4), splash(4), puc(4), scc(4), uart(4)
> > and all of usb(4).
> >

> > > If I can get nowhere with this card, any advice for
> > > a card I could buy for Sun Blade 1500 (red or silver)?
> >
> > Sun PGX64 would be a good choice as they even allow to
> > use accelerated X with decent resolution (which is
> > unlikely to ever work with most of the XVR cards as
> > Sun didn't open source their drivers nor release the
> > necessary documentation).
>
> what about OpenBSD drivers: http://www.openbsd.org/45.html
>
> under what's new:
>
> # ifb(4), a driver for Sun Expert3D, Expert3D-Lite, XVR-500, XVR-600 and XVR-1200 framebuffers (accelerated).
> # wildcatfb(4), an X driver for Sun Expert3D, Expert3D-Lite, XVR-500, XVR-600 and XVR-1200 framebuffers (unaccelerated).
>
> Is it feasible to port a driver from obsd to fbsd?

Given that the subsystems related to console drivers differ
quite heavily between FreeBSD and Net/OpenBSD it's more like
writing a new driver based on information obtained from
other drivers and experimentation with the hardware rather
than porting one but yes it's possible (see creator(4) and
machfb(4)).