firmware update on Blade 1500

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Dec 4 22:52:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 05:53:43PM +0100, Gheorghe Ardelean wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

> >> please add to /etc/rc.conf
> >> inetd_enable="YES"
> >> than edit /etc/inetd.conf and enable tftp (there are 2 entries in that
> >> file one for IPv4 and one for IPv6) after that /etc/rc.d/inetd start
> >>
> >> write down the MAC of your Blade1500 and add an entry to /etc/ethers
> >> something like:
> >>
> >> xx:yy:zz:aa:bb:cc   blade1500
> >>
> >> and add a line to /etc/hosts containing the mapping of the blade1500
> >> hostname (see ethers) to ir's IP. Eg:
> >>
> >> 192.168.1.13		blade1500
> >>
> >> after this is done start the RARP daemon. I am always doing it like this:
> >>
> >> rarpd -adfsv
> >>
> >> In an other terminal you can run tcpdump to see the request from the
> >> blade1500 and if you have the correct file name.
> >> In this case (IP:192.168.1.13) the file in /tftpboot should be named
> >> COA8010D or a symbolic link to the actual firmware file.
> >>
> >> Now on the serial console of the Blade1500 say 'boot net' and that's it.
> >

> > Gheorghe, just to clarify:
> >
> > 1. Do both boxes need to be on the same local net?
> > I cannot boot across rooters, can I?
> > Can I just connect the two boxes in question directly
> > with an ethernet cable?
> >
> > 2. I understand I need to run inetd and rarpd on the box with
> > the boot file, or in this case a firmware file. Is that so?
>
> I am always making the files in /tftpboot rx for world.
> chmod 755 /tftpboot/firmware_file should do it
> I do not recall now why but IIRC it was written somewhere.

success!!

don't know what went wrong in my first attempt.
I think it worked after I wrote the whole
domain name in /etc/hosts:

137.222.184.100		blade1500.men.bris.ac.uk

Anyway, I moved from 2004 to 2009 firmware!

This was "red" blade 1500.

I've two more "silver" blade 1500. Will try to
update the firmware on those as well.

Will report.

many thanks for you help and advice!

anton