Netra T1-200 debugging (was: Free Ultra2 in Silicon Valley, USA)

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Tue Nov 4 14:49:30 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 05:09:00AM -0800, mdh wrote:

> By the way, I'm pretty sure that there's no ATA controller in these.  Should just be good ole SCSI.  I mention this because I noticed Marius mentioned the ata driver in another message.

Well, there in fact is an ATA controller in T1 200...

> I haven't ever worked with a T1-200 myself.  It does indeed look like an intermediate step, engineering-wise, between two very well-engineered machines (the T1-105 and the V120).
>
> Marius, I'm curious - the T1-200 has dual-eri interfaces on the mainboard, similar to the V100/V120?

AFAICT the T1 200 and V120 share the exact same mainboard,
the former is just the telco version with a different front
bezel and not sold with an 650MHz CPU. IMO "both" are very
well engineered.
T1 105 seem more like the first try of Sun doing an 1U
machine. They even didn't build these an own motherboard
but recycled the CP1500 cPCI module which is just mounted
inside the chasis together with an expansion board. IMO
this setup and the resulting wiring makes these machines
seem kind of fragile. From reading just this list I got
the impression that the mezzanine RAM these machines use
is prone to be defective.
V100 are different beasts again and seem to be designed
with lowest-cost in mind. They have a rather small
mainboard without a PCI-slot, not even ERI NICs but
Davicom DM9102A and of course no SCSI. Otherwise these
are the same generation technology as T1 200/V120, while
T1 105 belong to the previous one.