Free Ultra2 in Silicon Valley, USA

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Tue Nov 4 14:10:05 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 05:57:22AM -0600, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 11:30:42PM +0100, Marius Strobl wrote:
> > Anyway, the panic message provided isn't enough info to even
> > guess what the real cause is.
>
> I think I have more notes at home (not accessible ATM).
>
> > I think the easiest way to proceed would be to remove the remaining
> > NIC (is there a reason you disabled gem(4) for the on-board ones?)
>
> The kernels that we run are pretty lean; it's possible that that
> driver is not included.  Or, are you talking about something in the
> hardware setup?

No, I just wondered if there's a reason gem(4) wasn't
included in the kernel, f.e. hme(4) worked better for
you or something...

> > and mass storage controller drivers one by one and see when the
> > panic goes away.
>
> Is this something that can be done remotely?  I'm a thousand miles
> away from the machines :-)

Well, if you can't netboot them you already lost when it
comes to getting a working kernel onto them unless there's
someone onsite who can insert a CD with a working one.
Otherwise you can experiment pretty much anything including
removal of the drivers required to mount root remotely
as long as you've access to the serial console.

> > That said, my T1 AC200 is running fine and I've never seen such a
> > problem with it...
>
> These things have an add-in card with 4 more ethernet slots IIRC;
> could the difference in configuration explain things?

That might make the difference and I've planned to give
that configuration a try but I need to fetch mine from
the datacenter in order to do so.