make.conf questions for 6.x / 7.x

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Thu May 8 20:51:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 07:49:46AM -0500, Doug Poland wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been a FreeBSD i386 user since the 2.1.1 days.  One thing that
> has hung around with me (on i386) since then is my /etc/make.conf
> file.  In it I have:
>
> CFLAGS= -O -pipe
> COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe

The automatically chosen default for CFLAGS would be '-O2 -pipe'
(optionnaly additionally '-fno-strict-aliasing' depending on
FreeBSD version) these days and there should be no reason to
artifically limit optimizations to just '-O'.

> NO_PROFILE= true

This makes sense if you don't want to spend diskspace and CPU
cycles compiling profiled versions of libraries if you have no
use for them. Especially since FreeBSD/sparc64 doesn't support
userland profiling before 7.0.

With FreeBSD 7.0 and later this translates to WITHOUT_PROFILE=
(yup, no value) in /etc/src.conf.

> USA_RESIDENT= YES

I think in former versions this enabled compilation of some
crypto code which was export restricted. FreeBSD 6 and later
no longer check it.