ZFS on 7.0-RC1 SPARC64

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Mon Feb 11 14:49:43 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:38:16AM +0100, Eirik verby wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2008, at 9:39 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> >Mark Linimon wrote:
> >>There's no intentional slight of sparc64 here; I just don't think
> >>that
> >>anyone has tested it yet.  I don't believe that the committer who did
> >>the work has access to a sparc64 machine.
> >>mcl
> >>"
> >
> >I tested it briefly but not much beyond verifying that it doesn't
> >insta-panic :)
>
> Our Ultra2 machine is behaving very well now, using both ZFS and Java
> (!!) on FreeBSD.

Incredible! :)

> We have two internal drives, mirrored using geom_mirror. This has
> worked well all the time.
>
> After csup'ing to 7-RC1-something, and brute-force-compiling ZFS, we
> used the external A1000 SCSI disk "shelf" with 12x18gb drives to
> create a zpool and a bunch of ZFS filesystems. Since then, we've
> integrated ZFS quotas and limits with the jails (growing in
> numbers..), without incident so far.
>
> We've added another A1000 disk shelf that we'll probably set up as a
> mirror of the current one, again using the z* tools.

Could you please give a zfs.ko built with the patch at:
http://people.freebsd.org/~marius/zfs_atomic_sparc64.diff
a try? In theory it should improve performance by not letting
the OpenSolaris compat code work around the lack of some atomic
operations.

> Oh and Landon Fuller has been kind enough to spend a few days
> compiling Java 1.6 for FreeBSD on the machine, so I believe (his
> words) we are now running the worlds first Java-enabled FreeBSD/Sparc64.

Could you please work with glewis@ to integrate the required
changes into the port?