virus scanners for FreeBSD sparc64..

Damian Wiest dwiest at vailsys.com
Thu Oct 25 16:32:39 PDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 10:03:05PM +0200, Didrik Madheden wrote:
> On 25/10/2007, craig001 at lerwick.hopto.org <craig001 at lerwick.hopto.org> wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > What virus scanners are available for the sparc64 version of FreeBSD ?
> >
> > I have compiled clamav ok, but would like two others.  Usually on i386 I would
> > use f-prot and antivir, however none of them are compatible with sparc yet...

> Maybe I'm missing out on something, but what viruses are there for
> freeBSD/Sparc64? I haven't really heard of any, and I don't think
> there's too much to worry about.
>
> /Didrik Madheden

Sometimes there are legislative requirements that require one to run
anti-virus software on a server.  Unfortunately the people writing these
regulations sometimes don't have the best grasp on the technology or
processes they're regulating.  For example, people in the United States
have to deal with PCI DSS and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act both of which
include the use of anti-virus software as one of their requirements.
If you're lucky you can convince your auditor that a particular control
isn't necessary because you've mitigated the risk some other way, but
in my experience you're typically dealing with people with zero clue
about technology or security.

Also, some people like to ensure that their systems don't propagate
malware to other systems, for example through an NFS or Samba fileshare.

-Damian