Doesn't anything work around here?

Christian Baer christian.baer at uni-dortmund.de
Sun Nov 4 03:36:12 PST 2007

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 06:52:24 -0800 Royce Williams wrote:

> I've started a couple of threads in the past about offering to chip in
> for hardware to support builds, and especially sparc64 freebsd-update.
> To move forward on that, what is the 'best bang for the buck' hardware
> that the project could use?

The fastest CPU that are currently supported by FreeBSD are 650MHz IIi.
You can find that in a Blade 150. There are no workstations with more than
one CPU of this type around (that I know of).

The U80 has up to four 450MHz CPUs. So this is (probably) the fastest
sparc64-workstation currently supported by FreeBSD. Since the ports cannot
be compiled with more than one job at a time (make -j 2 breaks most of the
builds), I'm not sure if more than one CPU would be of much use - for
building the ports. However, if only one job is run, the workstation would
still be usable for other things while compiling.

Regards,
Chris