sparc64/105157: No reply to ping on Sparc64

js js at fireball.qxni.com
Sat Jul 21 06:40:07 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/105157; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: js <js at fireball.qxni.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, andrew at grillet.co.uk
Subject: Re: sparc64/105157: No reply to ping on Sparc64
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:56:32 -0500 (CDT)

 Andrew,

 I run 6.2-RELEASE on an Ultra60 (2-way SMP), with nfsd running although
 not actively serving any NFS clients.  I am also not running Apache, as
 you are.

 I am able to ping this machine (I receive an ICMP_ECHOREPLY [id=0] packet
 back corresponding to each ICMP_ECHO [id=8] packet I send to the machine.)

 Are you familiar with ddb and kernel debugging at all?  If so, find out
 exactly what the kernel is doing with those ICMP_ECHO packets.  They would
 be stored in mbufs by the kernel after the NIC DMAs them into main memory.

 Watch those mbufs during breakpoints on various network functions.
 If I were you, I would start by setting breakpoints on ip_input() and icmp_input().

 Regards,

  	Jon