Monitor "Blinking" on and off during 6.1 install on Ultra 60

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Sat Jan 13 18:13:33 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 08:04:51AM -0600, Tom wrote:
> I saw a posting on the internet regarding a Sun Ultra 60.
>
> I have an Ultra 60 that need a new video card. Is is possible to use a
> standard PCI video card
> to run in the Sun hardware? If so is a model that you recommend?

The firmware of some sun4u mainboards support a limit number
of PCI frame buffer chips, allowing any video cards with a
matching chip (including those with i386/PC video BIOS) to
be used. Not so the firmware of U60 though, for these a PCI
video card has to bring its own driver in form of FCode.
This is further limited by what FreeBSD currently supports
though.

> I though after reading the documentation they had a HPA bus and not PCI.

U60 have both, UPA graphics and PCI, busses as well as slots.
Along with FreeBSD this means you can use Sun Creator,
Creator 3D, Elite 3D, PGX and PGX64 (but not PGX32) cards.

Regarding your subject, there's an issue with creator(4) in
6.1 that can cause the monitor to blink but which should be
gone with 6.2.