sparc64/108757: [rtc] can't boot if rtc stuffed, no means of recovery

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Mon Dec 31 07:40:03 PST 2007

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/108757; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: linimon at lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: sparc64/108757: [rtc] can't boot if rtc stuffed, no means of recovery
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:36:52 -0600

 ----- Forwarded message from Andrew Grillet <andrew at grillet.co.uk> -----

 The description was wrong: however there was a problem more
 serious than I reported: A perfectly good RTC was incorrectly
 producing an error message reporting it as faulty to the
 extent that FreeBSD failed to install.

 I believe from circumstantial evidence (that may be entirely
 wrong) that this was a side effect of a "64-bit integer" related
 issue where 32 bits a written and 64 read.

 I believe the correct thing would be to label it as unreproduceable.