profiling with cc

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Wed Feb 8 08:35:54 PST 2006

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:00:43PM +0100, Andreas Tobler wrote:

> Attached what I have so far. I built a libc_p.a and I can compile some
> code with -pg and do some investigations with gprof now.
>
> Done on an enterprise 2 2x296MHz 896MB.
>
> FreeBSD enterprise.andreas.nets 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Sun
> Feb  5 08:20:12 CET 2006
> andreast at enterprise.andreas.nets:/usr/obj/home/andreast/devel/src/sys/GENERIC
>   sparc64
>
> What I do not know yet, is the fact, how reliably the figures are.

It should work fine for C functions but the ENTRY macro in
sparc64/include/asm.h has to be changed to call _mcount() so profiling
info is also gathered for asm functions (e.g. those in libc).

> Would you mind giving me some feedback if the attached is useful/needs
> rework?

It has some style issues and inconsitencies (see style(9) and other
inline asm in e.g. sparc64/include/cpufunc.h). Otherwise it looks
good but probably needs a PIC version of the MCOUNT asm so it also
works when compiling with -p.

This mail was scanned by AntiVir Milter.
This product is licensed for non-commercial use.
See www.antivir.de for details.