[releng_6 tinderbox] failure on sparc64/sparc64

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Sat Feb 4 14:06:17 PST 2006

"M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> writes:
> Ruslan Ermilov <ru at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > I mean, I don't see a reason not to remove -fno-strict-aliasing
> > from the kernel builds now.  Perhaps it's still needed for some
> > platforms that aren't covered by tinderbox, not sure...  Can be
> > easily checked with "make universe".

First of all, the kernel Makefiles contain a hack which force
-fno-strict-aliasing whether you want it or not.

Second, the kernel will *not* build without -fno-strict-aliasing,
partly because of preexisting aliasing violations and partly because
of aliasing violations which were introduced after the hack (and could
have been avoided if that hack had not been in place).

> There's a dozen or two files that will fail to compile -O2 w/o it
> spread through the tree.

not throughout the tree - only in the kernel.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no