bge(4)

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 19:10:26 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 12:40:40PM -0400, Miles Nordin wrote:
 > When I do 'kldload if_bge' i get:
 >
 > -----8<-----
 > bge0: <Altima AC9100 Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x105> mem 0x10000-0x1ffff at device 3.0 on pci2
 > bge0: firmware handshake timed out
 > bge0 PHY read timed out
 > bge0: MII without any PHY!
 > device_attach: bge0 attach returned 6
 > -----8<-----
 >
 > Is this expected?

Yes. :-(

 > I'm looking for a good card to do forwarding of high pps on a Netra T1
 > 200, because AFAICT gem and hme aren't documented to support interrupt
 > mitigation nor polling(9).  Will em(4) work on sparc64?  Do people
 > have other suggestions?

Polling support for hme(4) is one of item in my TODO list. It's not
complex and easy to add polling support code but I have no idea
polling on SMP really helps.

At present em(4) does not work on sparc64.
See http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/em.patch.0419
It's old patch but you may see the point.

There is also bge(4) patch(http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/bge.patch.0908).
Due to recent bge(4) changes it wouldn't apply cleanly but I think you
can patch the driver manually.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon