FreeBSD viability on Sparc platform

Joao Barros joao.barros at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 15:02:41 PST 2005

On 11/23/05, Nathan Vidican <nvidican at wmptl.com> wrote:
> Been a (long) while since I've been following the port at all, where is
> FreeBSD/sparc anyhow? Looking to replace a server here which is currently
> running FreeBSD/i386 on dual PIII 550's, the machine is heavily loaded and
> stability/redundancy are key but budget is a concern. For the price I can get
> decent configurations of Sun Ultra and Ultra II powered sparc servers with
> redundant power for cheap... but can I reliably run FreeBSD on them, or am I
> stuck with Solaris. Really, would Solaris not be a better option anyhow given
> it's their hardware, or is FreeBSD stable enough on the platform yet for production?
>
> The machine is basically pure mysql server, and does minimal routing accross two
> network interfaces. I know this could just as easily be done in Solaris, just
> curious as to FreeBSD/sparc viability. I'm looking at some E420R's with qty 4
> 450mhz Sparc II cpus, and 4GB ram each.
>
> Any info/opinions/concerns/etc appreciated.

I have at home this nice Ultra 5 at 400Mhz with 256MB ram with 2 Intel
fxp on it.
It used to run 5.4 for months and only went down due to power failure.
Upgraded to 6.0 and again only goes down when the power fails. Got to
get one of those UPS thingies :)
I'm using it as a router: nat, pf, dhcp
Also runs NetMRG with the needed MySQL to monitor my switch and the
machine itself.

--
Joao Barros