Ultra Enterprise 2, Creator3D, type6, Xorg issues

Ken Folse ksfjr at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 17 10:16:39 PST 2005

Ok, I am making a little progress. This is all using the same xorg.conf.

When I use startx now, it loads all the way up into fluxbox. However, I
can't use the mouse.

When I use xdm now, it loads into the login screen. Again, I can't use the
mouse but the keyboard does work. I can log in and a window manager (twm I
think) starts to load (not sure which one). I think the xterm window loads
but the mouse is trying to drag it (the window is wire frame). The mouse
does not work at all. I have to Control+Alt+Backspace out several times to
shut it down.

I'm using a crossbow mouse. I know this mouse works as I have used it in
Solaris and NetBSD. I guess I will have to experiment with the settings. I
read a comment previously about enabling the mouse in rc.conf. I set
moused_enable in rc.conf but get a message about not finding /dev/psm0 when
booting. Does the mouse have to be activated before X? Should the mouse show
up in dmesg?

--------------------------xdm.log-------------------------------------------
X Window System Version 6.8.2
Release Date: 9 February 2005
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 6.0 sparc64 [ELF]
Current Operating System: FreeBSD chrome.domain_not_set.invalid 6.0-RELEASE
FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Wed Nov 16 03:01:09 CST 2005
ghost at chrome.domain_not_set.invalid:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CHROME s
parc64
Build Date: 16 November 2005
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
Module Loader present
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Nov 17 11:42:56 2005
(==) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf"
Detected FFB2+/horizontal, Z-buffer, Double-buffered.
[drm] failed to load kernel module "ffb"
(EE) SUNFFB(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.
No matching visual for __GLcontextMode with visual class = 3 (32772),
nplanes = 24
No matching visual for __GLcontextMode with visual class = 1 (32774),
nplanes = 24
No matching visual for __GLcontextMode with visual class = 0 (32775),
nplanes = 24
xdm error (pid 489): fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe)
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).^M
xdm error (pid 434): Server crash rate too high: removing display :0
FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should be
1; fixing.

I cannot find the log from using startx. Where would that be located? It's
not Xorg.0.log. I've searched for startx.log and cannot find that, either.
After reading the man pages for startx and xinit, I can't find any options
that affect logging.