5.4 install on Ultra10

Dagobert Kellner freebsd at kellners.de
Sat Jun 18 13:48:19 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 03:39:06PM -0700, Tony Li wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install from cdrom onto an Ultra10.  I'm able to get the
> kernel loaded, but the last message that I get is "jumping to kernel
> entry at 0xc0040000".  The system is then hung hard.
>
> Clue, please?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony

Hi Tony,

I had the same problem while installing FreeBsd 5.4 on an Ultra5.
The problem is that the driver for the Openfirmware is not compiled into the standard kernel.
That means you do not get any output on your screen but your Freebsd still works.

I used the following workaround (You need an computer with a terminal-program. Connect this to the tty[ab] of the Ultra10):

- Restart the computer.
  While memory initialization press Stop-A to get to the bootprom.
- do one of the following comands (depends on where you connected your sun):
  select io ttya
        or
  select io ttyb
- then enter: go

Now you should get the output to your terminal and you can go on installing FreeBSD.

After installing FreeBSD you should rebuild your kernel.

Use the following option to enable the openfirmware console again:

 device          ofw_console     # OpenBoot firmware console device

 I hope that works for your ultra10.

Dagobert Kellner