"fast data access mmu miss" on kernels w/o "makeoptions DEBUG=-g"

John Nielsen john at jnielsen.net
Mon Aug 15 14:43:13 GMT 2005

On Friday 12 August 2005 00:53, Andrew Belashov wrote:
> John Nielsen wrote:
> > Can anyone say why removing "makeoptions DEBUG=-g" from a kernel would
> > make it unreliable?  I'm on an Ultra 5, and it's quite stable with
> > either GENERIC or the kernel specified below.  However, commenting out
> > the "makeoptions DEBUG=-g" line builds a kernel that boots but then
> > panics right after mounting /:
> >
> > Entropy harvesting: interrupts ethernet point_to_pointpanic: trap: fast
> > data access mmu miss
> > Uptime:2s
> > Dumping 512 MB (2 chunks)
>
> Try to clean rebuild kernel (remove build directory
> /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KERNCONF or /sys/compile/KERNCONF).

No change even after a fresh buildworld (using RELENG_6):

cvsup /etc/supfile-src && rm -r /usr/obj/* && cd /usr/src && make make &&
make clean && make cleandir && make cleandir && make buildworld && make
buildkernel && make installkernel && make installworld && mergemaster

I don't mind leaving the option in the kernel, but it does seem like a
strange bug.  Let me know if anyone has any other ideas.  Thanks,

-John