5.3 on ultra2: scsi disk not detected

Scott Long scottl at freebsd.org
Thu Nov 25 10:45:52 PST 2004

mk at capri.pl wrote:
>>I boot FreeBSD off of da0 and NetBSD off of da1.  Both can see all three
>>devices.  So it's not a problem that is related to the number of disks.
>>My guess here, since I'm not a Solaris expert and don't know how to
>>extract the information out of it that would be helpful, is that either
>>your misbehaving disk is 'special' and solaris knows to do special
>>things with it, or it's stuck in narrow mode or has a faulty pin and
>>solaris is smart enough to deal with that.  Neither FreeBSD nor Linux
>>know how to do domain validation, so a faulty pin on the upper half of
>>the bus would show up as a mystery parity error.  A faulty pin on the
>>lower half of the bus could interfer with selections on the other
>>low-numbered devices, though I have no idea how solaris could compensate
>>for this.
>

> I tried to attach this disk in narrow mode, using SCA80->68pin converter,
> then using 68pin->50pin converter, then attaching it in place of CDROM.
> This trick works with Sun IPX and SparcStation5, but Ultra2 just can't see the
> disk connected this way. Although I'm industrial microcontroller hardware
> designer, so I'm really fluent with hardware peculiarities, I just don't
> knwow SCSI protocol details so I can't diagnose this from software point
> of view. I'll learn, but this requires some time.
> For now it looks to me that Ultra2 is unable to talk with this disk in
> narrow mode - but maybe I'm wrong, just like I said - I don't know SCSI
> enough.

Shimming down the cable using connectors like that is usually a recipe
for trouble.  The drive will _think_ that it can talk wide, but you've
mechanically removed the wires that allow it.  You said earlier that
there was a jumper to force narrow negotiation.  If that doesn't make
a difference, then it might not be a narrow/wide problem at all.

>>I can hack the driver to allow you to force everything into async-narrow
>>mode.  That might help identify the problem, but it won't help much if
>>it's a case of the drive needing special instructions that we don't
>>understand.  A SCSI bus capture would be ideal.
>

> Give me a hint how to get SCSI bus capture and I'll do that - for now I
> can attach multi-input logic state analyzer physically to the bus, but
> maybe there's some more obvious software solution ...

A logic analyzer probably won't tell you anything.  Can you boot up
solaris with the special drive and run 'prtconf' and send me the
output?

Scott