Serial configs on sparc64

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Wed Nov 24 23:31:21 PST 2004

On Nov 24, 2004, at 11:22 PM, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

>>> I un-commented the uart line in my kernel config, and changed the
>>> lines in /etc/tty back to what they had been.  I booted into
>>> single-user with the new kernel (planning to 'make installworld'),
>>> and I had no serial console.
>>
>> Did you remove zs(4)?
>> Did you remove ofw_console(4)?
>> Did you add puc(4)?
>
> I just took a shot in the dark.  I did nothing but add uart and
> remove my change /etc/ttys (because I got the impression that the
> current /etc/ttys would work if I added uart).  The problem here
> is that I have no real idea how these pieces fit together.

Well, they don't fit together. zs(4), ofw_console(4) and uart(4)/puc(4)
all want to control the same hardware and since we're dealing with the
console, it's not as simple as one winning the bus attach contest and
be done with it.

> I can certainly try it again by doing all three of the changes you
> have listed (along with removing my /etc/ttys change).  I can start
> on that right now.  Thanks.

As long as you're booting in single-user mode, /etc/ttys can be
ignored. The moment you go multi-user, make sure you have a getty(8)
on the right device. uart(4) creates /dev/ttyuX and /dev/cuauX, so
you need to enable a getty on ttyu0 or ttyu1 if you want to be able
to login on the serial console.

FYI,

  Marcel Moolenaar         USPA: A-39004          marcel at xcllnt.net