FreeBSD 5.3 for SPARC64 does not find SCSI disks on Unltra 1E

John Du jjohndu at comcast.net
Fri Nov 19 19:14:48 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "David O'Brien" <obrien at freebsd.org>
To: "John Du" <jjohndu at comcast.net>
Cc: <freebsd-sparc64 at freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 5.3 for SPARC64 does not find SCSI disks on Unltra 1E

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 05:37:27PM -0800, John Du wrote:
>> I downloaded and burned the ISO images on CDs.  The first CD boots OK.
>> When trying to partition the disks, the installer displays a message
>> saying no disks found.
>>
>> The FreeBSD SPARC64 hardware list has the Ultra 1E as supported.  What
>> do I have to do to install FreeBSD 5.3 on the SCSI disks on the Ultra
>> 1E?
>
> IIRC, the SCSI controller in the Ultra 1E isn't supported yet.  So you
> can only use the machine diskless.  Or install a Qlogic ISP1000 S-Bus
> card.

I ran FreeBSD SPARC64 diskless on this machine before it was officially
released.  When I saw the status of the Ultra 1E changed to "supported" on
the hardware list, I thought it meant the on board SCSI controller was
supported.  Now I know I misunderstood the word "supported."

My thanks go to all the people who have offered their help.

John Du