Console patch part II...

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Tue Mar 16 19:42:46 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 01:23:32PM +1000, Peter Grehan wrote:
> >Fix syscons.
>
>  As I mentioned when I worked around this problem on PPC, it's
> easier said than done.

Of course. I decided to not even try to get syscons working on
ia64. Things are much more complex there. But with 3 platforms
full of kluges to get syscons working, I do expect that people
get the hint that we need to work the problem.

>  The problem is the SC_STAT macro which relies on having
> an allocated cdev. This macro is used all over the place,
> even during the boot sequence, so it's difficult to delay
> the creation of the cdev until a point where it is safe,
> like 'correct' console drivers do. A nasty one to fix.

Yes. You need to have the driver layered correctly. Trying to
fix SC_STAT may very well imply that the driver needs to be
restructured. I haven't looked into it deeply enough though...

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net